Monday, January 26, 2009

A Bout with Gout


OK- I know this may come under the "more than you want to know" heading, but I'll continue this post anyway. It will explain (provide an excuse) for the lack of new posts for the past week. I have had gout, a build up of uric acid in the system that crystalizes around joints (usually the feet) and causes swelling and a dang lot of pain. They say it is something akin to arthritis. All I know is that it hurts. Before my first encounter with gout 5 or 6 years ago, I assumed it was a disease of the 17th century. Something for Lords, Dukes and Earls who spent their days eating chops, steak and kidney pie and washing it all down with a good stout madera. It's certainly true that diet does have a lot to do with the conditions onset, but apparently some people just have a propensity for it. And I'm one of those lucky ones. The good news is that I have changed my diet and gotten the Holiday Food Monkey off my back. No more turkey and dressing, ham sandwiches, egg nog, pound cake, tole house cookies, godiva chocolate and huge cinnamon rolls. Now I'm eating right, just like my wife has continually told me I should and I am feeling much better. I can walk with just a slight old man limp. Everything will be back to normal soon and hopefully I will have something better to write about here than my medical condition. -T

No comments: