Saturday, March 7, 2009

What They Smoke Part 1 - David Enrique

A couple of weeks ago on French pipe maker, David Enrique's Blog he posted photos of a pipe he had made of Morta or Bog Wood. I was drawn to it immediately, so I emailed David to ask if I could buy it. He replied that it was his first attempt at making a pipe from this material and he wanted to smoke several bowls in it to get a better sense of it's smoking properties. I couldn't stand in the way of scientific investigation. But this exchange got me to thinking - What pipes do pipe makers smoke? What interests them in a pipe? What makers do they value? I had seen Bo Norhd's pipe rack in Chicago a couple of years ago and I found it fascinating to look at. They were beat up dirty old pipes. Here was a man who made possibly the best pipes in the world and this was what he smoked? So I decided to ask my favorite pipe makers to send me a photo of their personal pipes. David Enrique was the first to respond so I'll start with him -T


David Enrique- " Here are a few of my favorite pipes that I selected for their aesthetic beauty, comfort and smoking qualities." 
In the front: a Talbert Morta and a Paolo Becker Tomato
In the middle: a Rad Davis and a Comoy's Blue Riband that is a little billiard that I adore to hold in my mouth while smoking latakia
In the back: a huge Larsen Select, Danish Bulldag that smokes my best Virginia blend like a dream




2 comments:

p'sman said...

What a great idea! And a fine selection of pipes from David. I can't wait to see more of the pipe maker's pipe racks. Keep 'em comin'.

Pipenthusiast said...

Good idea, I look forward to discovering the continuation.
Gilles.