Monday, February 4, 2008

No Work Today


That's not a bunch of charcoal grills you see under the plastic covers. That's my tools and this is a picture of my "workshop". And it's raining here today, so I'm forced inside to work on paintings. This is probably a good thing since painting is how I make a living. But it's going to be in the low 70s today and temperature-wise this would be a great day to get some pipe racks going. Oh well, I'll play the hand I'm dealt.
Along these lines I want to mention an email conversation I had w/ the Slovenian pipe maker, Gregor Lobnik. I purchased a Lobnik pipe back in December and it has become one of my favorite pipes. 
It is an unstained, linear rusticated, straight, brandy sort of pipe and with each bowl I smoke it becomes a deeper, rich
er golden nut brown sort of color. Very lovely. Anyway, back to the conversation- Gregor asked me what I did for a living. I told him I am an artist. He replied that it must be wonderful to make a living doing what you love. He works as a surveyor and likes his job, but he would love to make pipes full time. I wish everyone could do what they love and make a living doing it (I also wish for World Peace) but it is especially disheartening when someone w/ Gregor's talent has so little time to  to pursue his passion. And on top of that it makes me feel guilty! So take a look at Gregor's pipes and see if you might be able to help alleviate some of my guilt - buy a pipe or two. -T

No comments: