Monday, March 7, 2011

Lobnik Retro Holbek


While surfing the web late the other night I decided to take a look at Joel Shurtleff's site, The Briar Pipe. It had been a while since I had checked in and I wanted to see what was new. I clicked on Gregor Lobnik's name and not intending to buy anything, but dang if Gregor's take on a Holbek classic wasn't there! And at a very affordable price. Before I knew what I was doing (it was late and I was tired and on the way to bed) I clicked the "add it to cart" button. Like I said, I had no intention of buying anything, but I had seen this pipe on Gregor's website and was intrigued and a little in love. At the time Gregor was making pipes for his new Chinese dealer and I assumed it was heading for China, but here it was and I couldn't let it pass. So now it is mine and I am very happy w/ the purchase. I have thought for a while now that young pipe makers should take a look at the 1st generation of Danish pipes ( Holbek, Poul Rasmussen and Brakner, etc.). So many pipe makers seem to start w/ Lars and while I certainly think Lars is a master, I think there were some very cool designs that preceded him and could and should be explored. I hope to see more from Gregor. -T

No comments: